What Is Venturing?
Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 13 and have completed the eighth grade, or age 14 through 20 years of age.
Venturing’s purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.
Venturing is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth, adult leaders, and organizations in their communities. Local community organizations establish a Venturing crew by matching their people and program resources to the interests of young people in the community. The result is a program of exciting and meaningful activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, grow, develop leadership skills, and become good citizens.
Venturing crews can specialize in a variety of avocation or hobby interests.
The Venturing program aims to enable young adults to:
– Experience a program that is fun and full of challenge and adventure.
– Acquire skills in the area of their crew’s specialty.
– Become a skilled training and program resource for other youth groups.
– Experience positive leadership from adult and youth leaders and be given opportunities to take on leadership roles.
– Learn to make ethical choices throughout their lives by instilling the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
– Have a chance to learn and grow in a supportive, caring, and fun environment.
The Venturing program emphasizes four main areas known as the A-L-P-S model:
The Boy Scouts of America aims to build character, develop citizenship and foster personal fitness. The Venturing program uses the components listed below to meet our needs and the goals of the Boy Scouts of America:
The Venturing Motto:Lead the Adventure
The Scout Oath:
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
And to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
Mentally awake, and morally straight.
The Scout Law:
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.